McIntosh Mirror: Reflecting news in the Tosh

Want to impact your community? Many of McIntosh's citizen boards have open seats and a council at a loss as to how to fill them.

Light-up McIntosh December 15

Light-up McIntosh will begin at the Civic Center at 6:30 p.m. The event will host Santa Clause and an area choir from six local churches will sing.

11.21.06 -- EDITORIAL/DISCUSSION: McIntosh, what are you thankful for?

I just ran down to the McIntosh Grocery Store to pick up a couple items. Nothin' fancy. Just what I didn't already have around the house. I do it all the time. A lot of us do, I am sure. But I didn't used to ... I used to have to make that drive all the way down to Micanopy, or Gainesville or Ocala.

I was checking out and Sue told me that Mac, the store owner, is going to work on Thursday. She said he will keep the store open on Thanksgiving Day.

I thought a minute and asked her, "He did that last year, too, didn't he?"

She said she hadn't started working at the store yet but that she remembered running in for something last Thanksgiving and he was there.

Mac doesn't live in McIntosh. He drives in to work here like many McIntosh residents commute to Gainesville and Ocala to work. I suppose I take the grocery store for granted now that Mac's been there for about five years and open on a good number of the holidays.

Around Thanksgiving we can have some mushy moments and here's mine: I'm thankful for Mac -- that he's willing to drive here and open the grocery store on Thanksgiving so people from McIntosh and surrounding areas don't have to drive 20 miles for forgotten recipe items. Shoot, I am thankful not to have to drive 20 miles on non-holidays for a carton of half-and-half and a diet pepsi.

Sure, I'm thankful this year for some big things, too. But the little, unexpected ones -- like realizing you are thankful for the grocer is just fun.

So, that brings me to the point of why I decided to tell y'all about it.

It's Thanksgiving and I would like to know what or who the rest of you all are thankful for -- the big things, the little things. Drop us a comment.

posted by Cher @ 7:32 PM,

3 Comments:

At   November 23, 2006 10:16 AM     ,    Anonymous Anonymous    said...

Cher,
I guess everyone is too busy cooking to add a comment here. I'll quickly add that in addition to Mac at the grocery, I am MOST greatful for Dr. Leytem being up on the hill, and for Holly, Jan and Andrea in his office. They are so good to me and I know a lot of our neighbors depend on them being there. Let's see, what else...the beautiful trees, Pam and Scarlet at the post office, the garden club for the beautification of the town, Friends of McIntosh for putting on such a beautiful festival each year and for showing Jim and I so much kindness over the years. My good friends...and I mean GOOD friends that I have made since living in McIntosh...oh and the quiet, gentle atmosphere that we enjoy, Julie and Murray Mussleman, Beverly and David, Linda, Leeni, Kimmo, Chris and Dan Feaster, Jeanne Willis, Mrs. Van Horne, George Ferrara (sp?), Barney, Rose, Linda McCollum, Nancy Crenshaw...shoot, I'll be here all day if I tell everyone how thankful I am for their friendship and kindness. I'm sorry if I missed someone...it's all about community, caring, love, style and kindness. Thanksgiving is a wonderful day! Love and peace. Sheila

 
At   November 23, 2006 3:02 PM     ,    Blogger fisherwife    said...

I hate to leave anyone out...

Mitzi and her garden are both so beautiful...thank you Mitzi!

I am thankful for Mickey Rosser with her knitting/crocheting at the school on a weekly basis.

I am thankful for first Tuesday night dinners at the Methodist Church! This mother really appreciates a break from cooking and cleaning.

Agnes and her milk at the Antique Deli really fill a need at our house. Often we run out of milk, and she's almost always got a gallon when we're in need. Not to mention a good sandwich when I don't feel like cooking, or an ice cream cone treat for the kids after school.

I am thankful for my wonderful neighbors, too many to count. I'm afraid I'll leave someone out. You know who you all are, you share a smile and a wave, sometimes even a helping hand. Thank You!

I could go on and on from here forever. "Count your blessings, name them one by one, count your blessings see what God has done..."

 
At   November 24, 2006 8:22 AM     ,    Anonymous Anonymous    said...

One of the special parts of our community is the Light Up McIntosh evening. I always enjoy walking around looking at everyone's efforts and the beautiful results. Just a question about that event. When I first moved to McIntosh one of the churches was playing holiday music on the organ as everyone was out walking around. What happened to that? It really just capped off the atmosphere; the only thing missing was snow.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Editor

Editor and Publisher:

I'm Cher From McIntosh, FL I'm a graduate student at the University of Florida working on a master's degree in Mass Communication. While I was finishing my undergrad degree in journalism last year, I reported on McIntosh, Fla. for an in-depth reporting class. I figured that the reporting and the public record files should go somewhere people can access them. Reporters don't report to keep the information they find to themselves. Some of that reporting is included here in a forum that allows response. McIntosh suffers because with no news coverage, the local government and the rumor mill have too much potential to run rampant over residents. I moved to McIntosh in the fall of 1999. My profile

About This Blog

The primary purpose of this blog is to accurately reflect what happens in town public meetings and dispel rumors. I record the meetings and make them available for download. One of the goals of this blog is to offer residents a place to voice opinions. The comments, views and opinions expressed there are not necessarily those of the editor.

 
Web This Blog


"A Popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or perhaps both. Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives." - James Madison, 1822

"Personal journalism is also not a new invention. People have been stirring the pot since before the nation’s founding; one of the most prominent in America’s early history was Ben Franklin, whose Pennsylvania Gazette was civic-minded and occasionally controversial." - Dan Gillmor, 2004, We the Media

News Tips:

Call 352-363-0234

Archives



Previous Posts

Listen to meetings online:

Listen for yourself to McIntosh Public meetings. Digital recordings are available in the audio archive page of the blog. Audio Archives



Message from the Editor:

The news blog covers McIntosh, Fla. We strive to be accurate in our reporting. If you believe you something is inaccurate, please e-mail Cher Phillips at philicher@aol.com.

I would like to know more about how the blog serves you and the community, what I can do better and generally what you think. I've created an anonymous survey. Please CLICK HERE to take a survey about the blog and give me your input.

Powered By

Powered by Blogger


Add to Technorati Favorites


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial -Share Alike 3.0 United States License.