McIntosh Mirror: Reflecting news in the Tosh

Want to impact your community? Many of McIntosh's citizen boards have open seats and a council at a loss as to how to fill them.

Light-up McIntosh December 15

Light-up McIntosh will begin at the Civic Center at 6:30 p.m. The event will host Santa Clause and an area choir from six local churches will sing.

07.14.06 -- EDITOR'S NOTE: Corrections, clarifications and perspective

Last night LPA board member Barbara Fellman said I misquoted Commissioner Charlie Stone saying I wrote that he spoke to me about the LPA board. He did not. I said in council meeting that this was not the case.

I did make a mistake last night.
I thought the article she was referencing was article McIntosh divided by CRA, U.S. 441 because I had only had one conversation with Stone and that was about the CRA. I spoke to this point in council last night. She was, instead, speaking of an editorial I wrote Why July 11 is a very, very important day. Sorry Barbara. When I'm wrong, I say I'm wrong. But even so, I did not write that Stone said anything about the LPA nor did I mean to imply he said that.

The editorial referenced the conversation I had with Commissioner Stone and information I learned from him about CRA boards. I should have made the segue more clear for when his information ended and my edtiorial opinion began. I have made this correction in the story after Commissioner Stone and I spoke this afternoon when we read over every word I wrote relating to him.

I also spoke with Stone about the concerns that Bill Glass voiced that Stone's attorney would have something to say about the blog. Stone did speak with his attorney about the page of the editorial Fellman faxed to him but was not going to take action.

Further comments Bill Glass voiced to council and the town residents were that he had been speaking with the dean of the School of Journalism and Communication. I spoke with the chair of my department this afternoon and sent him the blog URL so he would be in the loop. He replied saying, "Nice work."

****

My correction policy is that I make them. If you think I've made a mistake, let me know. Enlighten everyone. That's the whole point of this. I am using this format for the sole purpose of READER RESPONSE.

****

Now that I've covered MY bases, I can move onto in my reporting to the coverage of McIntosh's bases.

Thanks for the comments everyone!

posted by Cher @ 3:11 PM,

3 Comments:

At   July 14, 2006 10:44 PM     ,    Blogger fisherwife    said...

Could you outline the meeting for us in a post so we don't have to download two hours? Just a thought. We are standing with our ears to the wall currently. The events of the last few days have been interesting.

 
At   July 15, 2006 1:26 AM     ,    Blogger Cher    said...

K -
Sorry for the delay. I'm working on it. This was a difficult meeting to report because I was a focus for part of it. Doesn't help that I didn't particularly enjoy attending it and wading through the audio file a second time is kinda like doing water aerobics in a Victorian gown -- one with a really constricting collar, confining stays and three-too-many petticoats.

If you need a CD of the meeting, e-mail me directly at philicher@aol.com. I will be more than happy to burn you your very own copy so you don't have to endure the download.

 
At   July 15, 2006 6:16 PM     ,    Anonymous Anonymous    said...

good job cher,keep up the reporting this is a fine way for more people to know what is happening in the council meetings. casey

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Editor

Editor and Publisher:

I'm Cher From McIntosh, FL I'm a graduate student at the University of Florida working on a master's degree in Mass Communication. While I was finishing my undergrad degree in journalism last year, I reported on McIntosh, Fla. for an in-depth reporting class. I figured that the reporting and the public record files should go somewhere people can access them. Reporters don't report to keep the information they find to themselves. Some of that reporting is included here in a forum that allows response. McIntosh suffers because with no news coverage, the local government and the rumor mill have too much potential to run rampant over residents. I moved to McIntosh in the fall of 1999. My profile

About This Blog

The primary purpose of this blog is to accurately reflect what happens in town public meetings and dispel rumors. I record the meetings and make them available for download. One of the goals of this blog is to offer residents a place to voice opinions. The comments, views and opinions expressed there are not necessarily those of the editor.

 
Web This Blog


"A Popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or perhaps both. Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives." - James Madison, 1822

"Personal journalism is also not a new invention. People have been stirring the pot since before the nation’s founding; one of the most prominent in America’s early history was Ben Franklin, whose Pennsylvania Gazette was civic-minded and occasionally controversial." - Dan Gillmor, 2004, We the Media

News Tips:

Call 352-363-0234

Archives



Previous Posts

Listen to meetings online:

Listen for yourself to McIntosh Public meetings. Digital recordings are available in the audio archive page of the blog. Audio Archives



Message from the Editor:

The news blog covers McIntosh, Fla. We strive to be accurate in our reporting. If you believe you something is inaccurate, please e-mail Cher Phillips at philicher@aol.com.

I would like to know more about how the blog serves you and the community, what I can do better and generally what you think. I've created an anonymous survey. Please CLICK HERE to take a survey about the blog and give me your input.

Powered By

Powered by Blogger


Add to Technorati Favorites


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial -Share Alike 3.0 United States License.